The Baltimore Police Department is currently hiring for Police Cadets. Cadets are aspiring Baltimore Police Officers who gain valuable law enforcement experience before meeting the minimum age requirement of Police Officer Trainee. Cadets are 18-20 ½ year-old uniformed civilian employees, assisting different units within the agency, such as Homicide, City Wide Robbery, Recruitment and Crime Lab. The most significant advantage to becoming a Cadet is that your time as a Cadet will count toward your sworn retirement.
Learn about our Recruitment Incentive Program
How to Apply
Learn more about our National Testing Network Exam
To apply for a meaningful career as a Baltimore City Police Cadet, you must first complete the online application using the link above. You will receive an e-mail notification advising you of your next step. If approved, you will receive instructions regarding the National Testing Network Exam (applicants will schedule their testing location, time, etc.) If you have any questions regarding the link or any assistance filling it out, please contact the Recruitment Unit at (410) 396-2340 or toll-free at 1-(877)-PRIDEPD.
Email the Recruitment Unit at Recruit@BaltimorePolice.org
Baltimore Police Department Headquarters
601 East Fayette Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Applicants must successfully complete the following steps in the hiring process before being hired as a Baltimore Police Officer:
- Online Baltimore Police Department Cadet Application
- National Testing Network Exam
- Fitness Test
- Preliminary Interview
- Background Investigation
- Polygraph Examination
- Physical Examination
- Online Baltimore Police Department Application.
- National Testing Network Exam
- Starting yearly salary for Baltimore Police Cadets $31,388 and will advance to Police Officer Trainee salary at the age of 21.
- Retirement - Pension after 25 years of service is 60% of sworn member’s salary.
- Excellent Health Insurance to include prescription, dental and vision.
- Your time as a cadet will count toward your sworn retirement.
- Tuition Reimbursement.
- All uniforms and equipment provided by the Department.
- On hands training prior to entering the Police Academy.
Veterans and Service Members
The Baltimore Police Department appreciates the service performed by members of the United States military. Veterans and service members are eligible for the following benefits:
- Military Veterans who have served 3 years of active duty can retire at (22) years at 60%.
- 15 days of paid annual military leave for members of the Active Reserves and National Guard.
- Eligible to receive full Montgomery G.I. Bill benefits while completing the 26-week academy.
Applicants must have at the least the following qualifications to begin the process:
- 18 years of age but less than 20 years and 6 months of age at the time of appointment
- Possess a high school diploma or an equivalent which is acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education
- Possess a valid Driver’s License or a valid Maryland Provisional Driver’s License at the time of appointment
- Achieve a passing score on the Civil Service Examination for Police Officer Trainee
- Pass a physical agility test
- Successfully complete a comprehensive background investigation to include a polygraph examination, and physical.
- Be of good moral character.
- Applicants do not need to be a Maryland resident.
- Driving Record: not to exceed five (5) points
- Poor Driver’s Record
- DWI/DUI conviction within the last two (2) Years
- Military Record: Separation less than Honorable
- Arrest Record: Any Felony Convictions
- Currently on Parole or Probation. All misdemeanor charges must be expunged
- Applicants are ineligible if they have illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana for any purpose within 3 years (36 months).
- Medical History: Must be mentally and physically qualified
- Integrity: Being truthful is utmost important; telling a lie or altering the truth at any stage of the process will disqualify your current and any future applications
1. APPLICANTS WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS FOR THE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION.
2. APPLICANTS SHOULD ENSURE THEY HAVE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS AS WELL AS COPIES. THESE FORMS INCLUDE:
- Birth certificate or naturalization papers (If applicable)
- High school diploma, GED, college diploma, or official letter from the school verifying graduation date*
- Official high school transcripts and/or college transcripts *
- Selective service registration (males only)
- Form DD214 from the military *
- Marriage license and/or divorce decree (If applicable)
- Valid Driver’s license, Vehicle Registration, and Driver’s Insurance
- Vehicle Registration, and Driver’s Insurance (if applicable)
- Current certified driving record
- Social security card
- Credit Report
- Court documents
- Pay stub (If applicable)
- Certificates (If Applicable)
*APPLICANTS SHOULD START OBTAINING THESE PARTICULAR DOCUMENTS FIRST BECAUSE THEY SOMETIMES TAKE THE LONGEST TO OBTAIN.